Thursday 20 January 2011

No Opportunity Wasted

Thursday January 20
Pam had a physio appointment in Norwich and I needed to visit the Apple shop in Chapelfield, so I went with her. This decision entailed a 45 -50 minutes wait in an increasingly cold car - the forecast was right, 5C on the way in. Still no breakfast for me and we didn't leave the Mall until 1.00 p.m. My choice......
Should we try? We weren't successful the last time they were reported in Lower Clarendon Road. Don't try, don't get.
The road is a loop off Thorpe Road/ Clarendon Road with a large P.O depot half way along, the other side overlooking the station. The birds were reported to be feeding on apples, where on earth were there apples? We parked in order to wait a while and saw a birder further down the road who ran back to us and pointed out both the apples (hidden behind the railings) and some of the Waxwings distantly perched in the top of a tree on the main road. He thought it was Thorpe Road. He then told me that  he worked for the RSPB. Pam viewed from the car whilst the helpful birder and I watched  c20 Waxwings flying down to feed on roadside privet berries. Constantly spooked by noisy buses and lorries, yet staying in nearby trees. Lovely birds with at least one adult male.
I took photos but will have to load them later as my PC is playing up.

No comments:

Post a Comment