Saturday 5 March 2011

Lovely Day in Breckland

March 4
Why does the NWT website state that its Weeting Heath Reserve is open 'March to October' when it patently isn't ?  It opens when the Stone Curlews return, sometime in March. We drive past on the way to Lakenheath Fen RSPB which is what we did yesterday.
Only Pam and I to view Hockwold Washes from the viewpoint at 9a.m., finding the Black-necked Grebe preening against the far reeds. The Washes are extensive, even more so after all the rain.

Two Reed Buntings trying to out-do each other in their 'song' from bushes either side of the path, Pintail and all the expected ducks on the washes.
I'd planned a visit to the Ouse Washes from here but changed my mind, opting for St Helens car park area, driving straight on to the small church instead. The sun was out by now, giving a little much needed warmth. I wandered about as Pam ate her breakfast. Attracted by movement, I found a party of  Long-tailed Tits fossicking about behind the car in a spread of low detritus, left from tree and bush felling. I never get tired of watching them, especially when they're joined by at least three Goldcrests, also feeding on the ground. No sign of any Hawfinches..... Bridget had heard a birder say that they'd moved to this area from Lyndford. Neither could we find any Crossbills here nor in our other usual places.
We did have excellent close views of a Marsh Tit - still not good enough to see the colour of the upper mandible! Must look at a stuffed one I reckon.
On what was now a lovely blue sky day, I regretted not visiting Ollie's Farm for Goshawk, early in the morning is best and it would have been a bit late by the time we got there now.  Especially after the longish walk to the watching place.  A must in the next week or two though, they

prefer sunshine in which to display.........
Marlingford is a new place for us. We turned off the A47 and drove on B roads via Barford. It didn't tell us that the lane to Marlingford was closed! Via a pretty long detour through very attractive hilly and wooded countryside, we eventually arrived on the outskirts of Marlingford to park roadside in a small layby, alerted by a couple of birders walking up the road. I scanned the water meadows opposite and there it was, the Great White Egret, standing in the middle of a field, preening. I attempted some photos with my 400 lens and then got out to set up my scope to try some digi work.
 No sooner had  I done so that it flew off, even further, to feed in a small tree-lined stream. I had excellent views of it fishing, stamping its feet to disturb prey and catching a good lunch. I counted 3 fish in the first  minute.
Not late home to do some more work on the Bird Club Newsletter.

No comments:

Post a Comment