Monday 19 May 2014

So Fast

Monday May 19

Waking early on another lovely morning, we were at Cley soon after 8 a.m. Bishop's Hide was the place to be, mainly locals. A male Garganey in front of the hide was a pleasure - except that it spent 99% of the time with its head underwater. I managed a few photos with its head showing.

At the very back of the scrape, about 40 (Pam counted) Tundra Ringed Plover, 3 Little and 2 Temminck's Stints, 2 Dunlin and a few Ruff fed on the largest patch of mud. As warden Bernard said when he popped in, ' they must be getting plenty of food then'.
Gadwall are very understated but lovely.

Holt Country Park is another 'to be' place at the moment. After a scan from the car whilst I finished to-day's DT Codeword, I walked to the Campion, Buttercup and weed bed in front of the loos. Very soon, I saw a 'bee' at the flowers. Raising my bins,  it was my first Broad-bordered Bee Hawkmoth, only about an inch long, its wings as fast as a hummingbird, darting from Campion to Campion. Where was my camera? In the car. As soon as I returned, the moth left, flying high into the conifers. Maybe it was worth waiting. We occupied ourselves watching other insects, mainly Common Blue Butterflies which seemed to prefer the buttercups. My photography attempts were poor.
The board only named Holly Blue..........



About to give up, the Moth returned, leading me a merry dance amongst the tangled vegetation. I had to focus manually, my auto system couldn't cope with it. Neither could my shutter speed despite increasing the ISO. I saved 3 shots from about 50 and they're not all sharp.

 I bet there'll be some great shots from others. Penny's are great.

No comments:

Post a Comment