Tuesday 7 April 2020

We Need Rain!

Tuesday, April 7

Taking the coast road back from my legal visit to Cromer Hospital eye clinic, via the Runtons and Mundesley, was in hope of seeing a migrant or two. The sea was like a millpond, the sun shone, another lovely day. We added Great Black-backed Gull, a Grey Heron and two very pink Linnets.
I spent an hour at the clinic, most of it waiting for the doctor to arrive. I saw two other patients, one before me and one after and had my temperature taken in the entrance lobby before being allowed in. I did wear a mask for the first time, as well as the disposable gloves. I had to drop the mask to take the eye test as it was causing my glasses to mist up.
Pam's arrived back from having her lunch outside - too hot.
Moth-ing hasn't been great for us. The usual Orthosias plus one Engrailed each day. The latter is so flighty, usually found on the outside of the trap or flying away as soon as the trap is opened. Blossom Underwing has made an appearance in the Dunmore's trap as well as elsewhere in the county. I wish.......
Butterfly numbers are increasing. 
Comma



Peacock, and Red Admiral in the main
The Peacock pictured here has obviously over-wintered from its wing-nibbled and  missing scales appearance.


Pam alerted me to a Great Spotted Woodpecker on one of the feeders not visible to me from my desk. I moved into the sun lounge where my camera was waiting but could not see the bird. I suddenly saw it drinking from the birdbath placed on top of an old pedestal one which belonged to Pam's mother. Excellent. These photos were taken through the closed patio door.




I always have trouble photographing Goldfinches. Blow me if one did not come down to drink as soon as the 'pecker left.


 Grey Squirrels are not welcome - but they are very endearing.


We spent some time tidying up the fruit trees yesterday afternoon. They were not pruned last year resulting in many branches which are too long/cross over/mess up the centre of the trees etc.  Only a little pruning as I don't want to cut off any of this year's incipient fruit. If any remain after the attentions of the Wood Pigeons.
The whole of the time we were there, a Green Woodpecker called from the wood and a Chiffchaff from next door's garden.
We've had to put bamboo canes across the pond to prevent the Mallards from eating the toad spawn and introducing Duckweed to the water..  







No comments:

Post a Comment