Saturday 1 February 2020

Garden Watch - Plus

Saturday, February 1

We have decided to do our usual early month, north coast birding to-morrow, as there will be less traffic (Pam hopes). Such a lovely day that we sat in our south-facing sun lounge watching the bird feeders. We had our first garden Greenfinches of the year, three Goldfinches were also new. The latter have been missing since December. Why?
The only camera to hand was my elderly Canon 50x bridge camera. It was asking a lot of it to photograph into the sun, through double glazed and reflective windows  The feeders are well shaded so it could have been worse.
A few of the results.

Long-tailed Tits

Male Great Spotted Woodpecker


I also photographed my newest Alpine Irises, two species have been encouraged to flower by the unseasonably mild weather.





 On a quick visit to Winterton on the late afternoon of the 31st, in rain, we added a couple of species to our year list. The bird addition was four Red-throated Divers. A few weeks ago I 
mentioned that we used to see Harbour Porpoises off Winterton. The last ones I saw were on a trip to South west Scotland with Karl for a Barnacle Geese spectacle. To-day, whilst scanning the 70+ Common Scoter flock for Velvet Scoter - unsuccessfully - at least three passed through my scope. I find it very difficult to judge the size of the group but I had three fins/backs at once.
Ever the optimist,  looking for folder photos, I looked for the very distant Scoter flock - and failed to find them in my camera + 400 lens viewfinder. I took a few random shots of apparently empty sea. It amused me anyway.



No comments:

Post a Comment