Saturday 9 January 2021

Day 1 of Familiarisation (!)

 Saturday, January 9

Familiarisation, step 1 = me sitting, wearing a fleece,  behind the curtain, in front of an open sun lounge door. I could just about see the feeding stations nearest the house, and, if I squinted, the bird table.


Two bird baths in tandem, they prefer the smaller of the two

I managed over half an hour of watching Blue Tits, Great Tits, a Goldfinch, Coal Tit and a single Long-tailed Tit, make fleeting visits. A flock did not arrive and my hands were cold.

The highlight was our resident Wren (s? we only ever see one) diving under the nearer strawberry planter. A head appeared at the far end before a rapid departure. It then re-appeared on the iced up, small, bird bath on top of the chimonea when I took some quick shots with my 100 m lens.




This Wren has led us a merry dance over the last year plus. Pam hasn't even seen it this year. I finished 2020 without a Wren photo in my year folder.

As soon as I shed my coat and moved back into the warm living room,  a flock appeared. This included a Blackcap and our first Siskin of the year. Pam saw the Brambling  early this morning,

 

No comments:

Post a Comment