Sunday 12 June 2022

Quarry Dwellers

 Sunday June 12


At the second time of asking - and with a lot of help from Pauline - we found our quarry. Both the place and our target birds. Reasonably local, four Bee-eaters have taken up temporary residence in a North East  Norfolk quarry.
A local farmer has mown an area of a meadow to allow parking, a distance away from their favoured area. Good to hear of a tolerant and co-operative farmer.  We parked in the field and waited for the birds to show on the telegraph wires below. Three of them obligingly did so, allowing me acceptable scope views. They even called. Such an evovcative sound. I hear it as PRRR PRRR, lovely memories of Mediterranean biding trips.

Unedited view taken with a 400mm lens

 


 Much edited 

 



One of the four birders at the bottom of the field, viewing the quarry through a gap in the hedge, returned to her car just as the three, then four birds flew onto the wires. Pam went to check that she had seen the birds,returning with some news.  Springwatch cameramen were here this morning filming, the results will probably be shown on Thursday evening. In the meantime, NENBC and the RSPB are co-operating to set up a 24 hour watch on the quarry. If and when that happens, I guess that the site will be made public.

Not only did P check that we knew about the birds, sending us good instructions, s
he also phoned to check that we had found the site. Thank you, it was very much appreciated
.

 

1 comment:

  1. There are always people who, for whatever reason, want to spoil other's simple pleasures. I didn't hear about the Bee Eaters until this morning (I was away not seeing an Albatross!)
    I'd like to keep your link on my blog: your writings give me and my friends a lot of pleasure...

    ReplyDelete