Friday 22 June 2018

Back to 'normal'

Thursday June 21

Cley NWT, as usual on a Thursday . A very strong gusting, northerly wind forced us to move to the shelter of the building, instead of our usual exposed picnic table. G is in Estonia, A D and DN  shared the trap opening duties.
 All the usual Cley suspects for the season until, to every one's  joy, a Netted Pug was pulled out of a trap and potted for the perusal and admiration of all. I've long coveted a view of this very identifiable Pug sp. The photp was taken whilst it was in the pot, never the best option.


After a chat with the Duffs over a drink, we left for Cromer clifftop,  where a Pied Crow of unknown origin has been visiting for the last couple of days. First reported in the Channel Islands, it has made its way north via Winterton and West Runton. G had told us that it liked the clifftop car park, I was scanning as we drove past, both of us seeing the bird just inside the roadside fence, looking like a larger Hooded Crow. Pam drove into the car park and stopped so that I could try to photograph it. DN, MH and AW were already in situ. 
After ten minutes of trying to improve the angle, the bird flying about and then disappearing inland over the roof-tops, we left. It's on the Insurance tick list.



Vertical take-off
DN later posted a photograph of me photographing the crow from our car window, the bird in between our two cars. I'll see if I can copy and paste it here.


I'd planned a visit to Titchwell to catch up with some year birds for Friday the 22nd but I think that maybe a rest and catch up with office chores is necessary. At last I have completed the Kentish Glory lure trial report form and sent it to Tom. It was much more scientific and detailed than I had anticipated.
I also paid the last deposit for our 2019 Scottish trip, all done now. I've also booked a hire car for Sara and Josh to use when they arrive late July. They can drive themselves to Gower and it allows us to do our own thing too - room for an extra moth trap in the back of our car !

No comments:

Post a Comment