Friday 3 August 2018

80 Years Ago

Friday August 3 

I have been thoroughly indulged to-day. Sharing my 80th birthday with Sara, Josh and Pam in this lovely area made it even more special. I had so many cards, messages and Emails from friends, I felt quite emotional that so many had bothered.  Sara has really put herself out to help and organise the celebrations, I am so appreciative. Bitter sweet in that she and Josh will leave to-morrow on the first leg of their long journey home to Brisbane.
After the openings, Pam and I opened the moth trap for the last time here. We have caught Sharp - angled Carpet every day and,  but for one Scarce, all the  Footman have been Dingy. 
This new to us Mayfly sp. appeared this morning.


Pam identified one small pale Carpet/Wave type moth as a Silky Wave. I did some research and agreed that it looked good. Townsend and Waring classify it as RDB, Manley states that it's only known from three areas in the UK, two of them on the Gower ! 
I posted the following photo on ''Moths UK  Flying To-night''.



Steve James Never seen one Ann but it looks good.

Leonard Cooper Seriously out of range for me .a species i would do many things for to see, i have no doubt it is a silky wave but ive never seen one and beleive it only fair that somebody who has confirms .but if i was a gambling man i wouldnt blink to stick £20 on it.we need a few recorders from around bristol area to confirm .this isnt a common moth its an rdb !
Ben Sale Small White Wave.. second gen this year, which doesn't happen hardly ever I must tell you.
Leonard Cooper Ah yes and dam it ! I now owe.somebody £20 .ben is of course time in field spot on the secnd generation thing is going to trip folk up this year , im seeing some very daft re visits .nice work ben 


Ben Sale
Ben Sale I've never seen a second gen i don't think!
The jury's out...
Pam then drove us all to Ystradgynlais and the Ynyscedwyn Arms for lunch. Lovely position by the river Tawe, plenty of hanging baskets etc made the exterior  look very attractive, BUT, the food was disappointingly average. The occasion was enjoyable. 


Ystradgynlais is a very different looking place from the one I remembered, understandably. Much more prosperous in appearance and, in common with all other towns we have driven through, festooned with colourful hanging baskets and tubs. Great. That and the wild flower meadows.

Now for the destination of the day. On to Cwmgiedd. Along the Tawe, past the now pedestrian only Teddybear Bridge, a much bigger and modern looking Cynlais Primary School, crossing the Swansea/ Brecon A road which was the Swansea/Brecon Canal in my youth. 

Following the small, mountain, Tawe river tributory, the Giedd,  soon reaching the stone cottage of my birth - and my mother's too.Waw. Looking very well kept, the front hedge three times as high, new front door and windows, an extension where the garage used to be and trees reaching down the graig to the back of the house. This used to be bare.

Everyone wanted to see where our ancestors were buried so we entered Yorath Chapel graveyard. I knew that my father had bought a new plot as both his family and my mother's were full !  Shallow soil and large families.
I soon located that of my parents.


Sara went off and found the Griffiths plot (Mam's family) near the road. 

Sara wanted to visit Pontynystwlc, where we picnicked when she was a child. An unmade road at the top end of Cwmgiedd - which is a dead end - led us to a comparatively manicured area with, again, very overgrown trees. A large information board was photographed by all but me.

Sara and Josh wanted to re-visit Dan yr Ogof as they had missed the Crazy Golf course and the petting area ! Pamand I stayed in the car. Sara won again, much to Josh's good natured chagrin.
An Indian Runner Duck which kept on running in its upright stance kept us amused.


A short rest back at the cottage before going for a meal at the Beaufort Arms half a mile up the road. We had a good meal - all different -  and a really enjoyable evening before retiring to pack ready for the morning. Sara and Josh have to leave early in order to return the hire car, which they have loved having.

As dessert, Sara produced a Chocolate and Apricot Fudge Cake which she'd ordered from Betty's of Harrogate. She put so many candles on it that the firework tulip in the centre set fire to one of its petals as the flower opened and fell onto one of the '80' candles. General kerfuffle, melted plastic removed etc before I could blow out the candles. 





 


No comments:

Post a Comment