Saturday 27 October 2018

At Last

Friday October 26

A scheduled eye check-up at Cromer Hospital was the first chore - I was out before my appointment time. Maybe early morning is a good idea. It didn't seem to be at the time. 
Then we had to sign our amended wills at the solicitor's in Sheringham. Would sea watching be worthwhile? 
East cliff car park is a bit high but gives reasonable views under or over the railings. Movement was slow. We ticked off Gannets, Red-throated Diver and Brent Geese before I tentatively suggested trying for the Stejneger's Stonechat at Salthouse, which has moved from 'possible' to 'probable'. Pam had decided not to drive Meadow Lane yesterday as there were already at least four cars parked at the turning place.
A positive answer. I contained my pleasure as we had yet to pass the Meadow Lane test.
Yes !! 
Only one car parked and a small knot of people watching from a distant gate. We lurched up the deeply rutted lane, long central grass sweeping the car's underside - but easily passable with care. At the gate, three tripod mounted long lenses were pointed in different directions. I swept the area using bins, seeing one Curlew. I then tried again using my scope. Pam went off to talk to the four birders, not something she enjoys. She was soon back with the information that the bird was in a patch of long phragmites, sheltering from the blustery wind, occasionally appearing on the bent post to their right. Then, the probable Stejneger's Stonechat appeared on top of the post before dropping down in front of them. The second time, it lingered long enough to give me extensive scope views,  before flying off east and out of sight. Brilliant. 

THIS IS NOT MY PHOTOGRAPH  - it is the same Meadow Lane bird

Photo taken by David Bryant
 It was too small and far too distant for my 300mm lens. This is exactly how I saw the bird.
James Lowen's photos are the best I've seen, published on the RBA website.

Mike's tip that the bird had a white throat was very useful when I looked it up in the two volume, Hadoram Shirihai, photographic guide to the world's birds. When will the next volumes appear? Guy Kirwan has guided him on many of his photographic safaris, therefore being able to show many of his excellent photographs at Yarmouth Bird Club.

Whilst we were waiting in the hope that the bird would return, almost as good was the sight of an enormous flock of Pinkfeet in honking waves overhead. Blue sky and fluffy white cumulus helped. Several thousands in total. I took lots of photographs before finding that I'd put the memory card in the wrong space - there are two in my new camera. That's the second error. Very irritating. I am very unlikely to repeat those errors, I hope.
Why are all Canon cameras so different from each other? Different sized battery I can understand, differing amount of power needed. It's  the need for a differently placed replay button for example that I can't understand.

1 comment: