Sunday 23 December 2018

Not Raining !

Saturday December 22

I'm writing this on the 23rd whilst awaiting the allotted time slot for collecting the turkey. Then it will be the traditional present packing, stuffing making and other preparations in order to limit the  time spent standing/walking. How did I manage when there were nine of us for so many years? Fewer years and mobility is the answer.

After a very rainy Friday, yesterday's sun was too tempting to stay indoors. We splashed our way to St Benet's Abbey car park. The lane entrance is both concealed and usually has a deep and extensive puddle. Looks more like a ford than a road. Easily negotiated when familiar, a daunting sight when not. The road as far as the farm was also extremely muddy, adding to our matt finish car. 
Pam parks sideways  in the car park - only one other empty car - so that I can scope the distant marshes, stretching to Thurne. Unfortunately this is where the birds hang out. We've tried, unsuccessfully,  viewing from Thurne where there are no apparent vantage points.
Pam thought that she may have seen a grey blob.........
Eventually, I found four Common Cranes ranging the area in front of the left hand windmill. Turning my mag up to near maximum, I watched what I assumed were two adult pairs, actively feeding over a grassy area, often concealed by reeds and bushes. It's very likely that one could scope for some time and miss them totally. My 300mm lens and heavy cropping produced this as evidence.


About a dozen Whooper Swans were also sometimes visible in the maze of distant dykes.

A few flighty Fieldfare, the king of thrushes I believe, flew restlessly along the hedgerow, seldom allowing a good view, let alone a decent photo.


Stopping to view a movement along the concrete lane in front of us, I looked sideways and saw this



a male Chinese Water Deer. To my surprise, it stayed long enough for both of us to take a few photos. It seemed to be frozen to the spot - apart from a twitching ear. 
Home to watch Man U's first match PM (post Mourinho). We won 1-5 against Cardiff. It was like watching the old Man U. Attacking football, the ball being passed towards the opposition goal instead of sideways and backwards. And Pogba made accurate passes. Long may it last. 
On BT Sport channel too so both M and P could watch.
I later found that P had missed the match, not knowing that it was on BT. I should have checked.

No comments:

Post a Comment