Friday 13 September 2019

Two Good Moths

Friday September 13

I'm still stunned at finding the first of the  'good moths' in our garden. We'd emptied the trap earlier on Sunday the 8th.  Late afternoon, Pam went out to put the Robinson MV trap in its usual position - in front of the sun lounge with a sheet hung behind it. On the sheet was a large Underwing type moth. Pam boxed it and brought it in for me to identify. One look and I said 'is it a Red Underwing'. to which she replied 'no, it's blue'  !! A Clifden Nonpareil. Not our first but, the best.  A friend of DN's had brought one from Sussex to show us at NS and NS had found a really tatty one whilst we were away in Kent last year. 
I'd been hoping that it wasn't too late for one to turn up in Dorset where we have a cottage booked for early October.Never in this lifetime did I expect one in our garden.

Norfolk status
Rare immigrant.
This is the Victorian collector's classic all-time favourite, the 'Blue Underwing'.
Former resident in the Norfolk Broads in the early 1930's.
Immigrants recorded mainly in Sept.


Please note records will not be accepted without confirmation. Photo showing the blue underwing required. 


My photos only show a small area of blue. It steadfastly refused to open its wings when coaxed to do so.



After it had been enjoyed by many others, on show at Cley Centre, we released it. Three days in a pot is too long for my conscience - and the moth. 
It was a beautiful specimen.



On Tuesday the 11th, Judy Whatsapp'd the group to tell us that they'd got a Cypress Carpet/Pug overnight. There was some confusion as to its identity at first - a senior moment.
Some members thought that one had been brought in by DN a year or two ago. It wasn't until I checked my list later that night that I found that we'd seen a Carpet but not a Cypress Pug. I emailed Judy as it was so late. Yes, they still had the moth. We went to their home on Beeston Bump to see it on Wednesday afternoon. 


What a lovely Pug. In that it was easy to identify as well as fresh. Pugs are notoriously difficult as a family.



No comments:

Post a Comment