Thursday 5 November 2020

Much Better Legs

 Wednesday, November 4

I woke - late - to bright sunlight  A, not abnormal, middle of the night wakefulness, during which I finished David Jason's latest autobiographical type book (an unusual one), led to a 9 a.m. final wake up. Alarmed by the time, I rapidly abluted and dressed. Hence the latish morning arrival at Cley. We parked in Beach Road, near the entrance to the marsh footpath, allowing me to walk the shortest distance to Keeper's Marsh, where the Lesser Yellowlegs is still residing.

By the time I reached the group of photographers leaning on or sitting near, the fence between the footpath and the field, the bird had moved away from the reedy eastern edge. It was making its way through the long grass, towards the larger pool of water, feeding avidly as it went. I positioned my seat off the track so that I could sit at the designated distance, giving me a reasonable view through to the field. Also, an unwanted view of a crouched photographer who's jeans had descended to a less than decent position.

 



I almost held my breath as the bird made its steady way towards the assembled audience, not a sound to be heard - apart from the machine gun fire of shutters. What a stunner.

 

 

Almost unbelievably, it then came along the fence line towards the next patch of water, almost within touching distance of the nearest birders, seemingly oblivious to its admirers  Too close for me to view most of the time, obscured by others, who had moved position, and tall grass. This is barely cropped.

 


We left it, still feeding.

 



What a delightful experience, one to cherish. A beautiful bird in lovely sunshine, with very little wind, giving excellent views. Happy and contented, we made our way back to the car. 

Newly settled in my car seat, and looking at my first shot on the back of the camera, I heard a familiar and welcome voice. Mike. 6 moths of 3 species in three traps at Natural Surroundings this morning, the last session of the year. After a quick chat, he left us to try for better photographs of the Yellowlegs.

After a short visit to Blakeney, overlooking the marsh where Kath and Mick saw Bittern and Kingfisher yesterday - we didn't see anything apart from Teal, 

 

Wigeon, Marsh Harrier and bathing Jackdaws - I had another try at photographing common birds in a natural setting for my year folder. Blue Tit, Coal Tit and Great Tit.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment