Monday 27 September 2021

New Moth

 Monday September 27

Last Wednesday, we opened the moth traps as quickly as we could before leaving for Titchwell. I always photograph any moths that look 'different' or are new for the year. I then process and identify my photos the same day. 

We were late back from Titchwell, I completely forgot that I had taken two photographs of an odd Silver Y. I found them - in my recycle  bin - on Saturday. No way was it a Silver Y. It was a Dewick's Plusia. A splendid name for a nice moth. 

A completely new moth for us, let alone for the garden. I could easily have missed it.......



Dewick's PlusiaMacdunnoughia confusa  

Norfolk status
Immigrant and suspected resident.

Less than 400 nationally (Butterfly Conservation)

Recent high number of records suggest a breeding population in Norfolk. Mostly occurs as an immigrant in coastal areas in the south and east of England, although has been seen as far north as the Shetland Islands.











No comments:

Post a Comment