Friday 5 November 2021

Logging

Friday November 5 

The Norfolk Moth website is excellent. Much admired and envied by other counties, I believe that a few of them have bought in to the template. For various reasons, I have been dilatory about uploading the month records for our garden traps. Many moth-ers log in every time that they trap. We trap so frequently that once a month is my preferred option. The sun is shining, Adrian is planting Autumn onion sets, and I've completed October's recordings.

 I can't see that the year holds any more 'new for the garden' moths for us, althought we did have a new lifer micro moth last month. A Nomophila noctuella, an immigrant. An 'in pot' shot.

 

We have logged several new macros: Streak, Dewick's Plusia, Small Elephant Hawkmoth, Gem, Box Tree Moth and many micros (because I've got better at identifying them, with Richard's help). Unfortunately, Sue and Ian's new adventist, a Golden Brown Fern moth, ninth for Norfolk, was dead by the time we saw it. Our fault for not travelling sooner. I don't have a deceased moth list!

December Moth - which appears in October - has long been a favourite.

 

Wigeon are back, in large numbers. On the way home from Natural Surroundings, we stopped in at Cley and then Iron Road, as you do, finding a  flock of Canada Geese, a few Brent and Greylags. 


Shovellers on the sea pool were a month tick. As we were watching, a flock of Wigeon whistled their way in.



 

Friend Pauline tweeted a photo of a handsome Brambling on her garden bird feeders. Shortly afterwards, Pam came in to show me one on our feeders too. I'd read that large numbers had been seen flying in. No photo for me, he flew away.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment