Wednesday 10 November 2021

Very Mixed Feelings

 Wednesday November 10

Stimulated by a photograph on Twitter yesterday morning, I resurrected the photo of a moth we caught at home, in the MV Robinson, on October 28. At the time, I believed it to be a moth I'd only seen at Portland and Dungeness Observatories. I was out-voted by both Pam and ObsIdentify, both believed it to be a Flame Shoulder. I was still reserving judgement, so kept the photos in a separate folder.

After seeing the Twitter feed, I sent a copy of my photo to Richard E, who reccomended that I forward it to Jim Wheeler, County Moth Recorder. At first, he responded asking for a photo of the hind wing - which I don't have. No response this morning, so I decided that that was that. Part of the way to Natural Surroudings, I got the following mail on my phone.

 Subject: Re: Possible Radford

Morning Anne,

Good news. Still waiting to hear from a couple of the team, but we think this is indeed Radford’s.
I ran it by the Suffolk CMR who also confirmed. 

If you could provide all details please for the database. 

I have added species to website. 

Congratulations!



Jim Wheeler - CMR Norfolk


Here it is. A Radford's Flame Shoulder.
 

 I do feel rather deflated, because Pam and I are the only moth-ers who saw it. I love to share good sightings, and am ashamed that I didn't have the courage of my convictions at the time. It deprived many others of the pleasure. Maybe another next year.........
We have also had two good micros.
Caloptilia falconipenella



and a Musotima nitidalis, Golden Brown Fern Moth
 

Adventive.
Native to Australia and New Zealand, this adventive moth was first recorded in the UK in Dorset August 2009, thought imported with ferns as a result of the horticultural trade.
It has since spread widely, with multiple sightings from other sites in southern England.

New for Norfolk in May 2020 when an adult moth was netted at Horsford woods (A. Starace, 23/05/2020) 
 
Our first sighting, a week ago, was of a dead moth in a pot, (found  alive by Ian and Sue Griffin), which unfortunately, expired overnight. Greg B also trapped one last night.
A fast spreading adventive.

No comments:

Post a Comment