Wednesday 24 June 2020

Dunwich and Odonata



Moth Quiz 27
Embarrassed, when opening the Manorhouse door to a nudist.
Rosy Footman 

Moth Quiz 28
A cigar smoker could end up with this.

Wednesday, June 24

Learning from a fortnight ago's aborted visit, I'd booked a car parking space for Dunwich cliffs via the National Trust Website. We arrived just before 10 and had to wait until almost ten minutes past before someone came to remove the plastic man guarding the entrance. Third car in the queue, after answering a number of questions e.g have you been before and have you got a dog, we had a choice of parking space in the disabled section, overlooking Minsmere RSPB reserve. In solitary state - until the next booking slot at 10.30-11 - we set up our chairs, and I focused my scope on the reserve. I couldn't put my sun umbrella up as the wind was too strong, I had to anchor my Tilley hat under my chin. I hate wearing a hat, it takes me back to my schooldays of regulation navy hat, with elastic under the chin, which had a peak in the top from being slammed onto a peg in the cloakroom. By the sixth form, uniform headwear had become a beret, which fitted better in the pocket when cycling - until a teacher was spotted, or the long school drive was reached.
Wearing a sunhat is better than being sunburnt.
We sat for an hour and a half, seeing five Spoonbills, squabbling Avocets, Common and Sandwich Terns, and a squadron of Oystercatchers making their noisy way out to sea. The whole time, groups of buzz-chat Sand Martins swooped above us, below, and along the cliffs. Delightful. Reed Bunting, Dunnock and a Blackcap sang, little else visible in the mirage inducing haze.
After this length of time, many more people, cars, and dogs had arrived. We left. It had become a little chilly in the strong wind anyway, despite the heat of the sun.
The exit track leads through prime Dartford Warbler territory, a roadside perched adult flew across our bows.
Our main aim today was to attempt the challenge of photographing Dragonflies and Damselflies on the Minsmere river.  The Eastbridge narrow road passes over the small river via a flat bridge. The single track here makes room for a pavement either side, which means that I can sit on a chair when I get tired of standing. 
It's a very small lowland river, with plenty of vegetation for the Odonata to lay their eggs and to rest.

Pam's photo
The variety of insects is small but we enjoyed the challenge of capturing the, often frustrating, zigzagging, hovering, darting, flight of the:Norfolk Hawker (in Suffolk). Only successful if one landed in a viewable area.


The above is Pam's photo, I managed a less than good one of a female ovipositing.


Common Blue Damselflies. This photo was accidental - I found it in one I'd taken of a Common Red!


and Large Red Damselflies, getting on with their short lives.


As previously, Banded Demoiselles were by far the most numerous.




Pam also saw and photographed,  a Broad-bodied Chaser female.



Home to a superheated house and the moth trap opening. Both traps had been in the shade and comparative coolness of the utility room, coolblocks on the lids, under a towel. It seems to work well. 
Unusually, no new moths yesterday but we had a beautiful Swallowtail moth this morning.


We'd planned a long-awaited visit to Lakenheath Fen to-morrow, until the podiatrist changed our appointment from next week to to-morrow afternoon. Maybe it's just as well as its due to be even hotter. Lakenheath can be extremely hot without our coastal breeze. I'm not looking forward to the visit as I have two infected toenails, the result of my previous visit to a new podiatrist. Very painful.

No comments:

Post a Comment