Wednesday 31 March 2021

Free to Roam - Locally

Monday, March 29

News of a White-tailed Eagle in the Horsey area  was too tempting. The news gave a sighting of the bird on the ground at 11.45. We were in the area before 12.30. The map showed that it was north of Horsey car park. We had a quick look there before deciding that the viewing was too limited. We returned to a field entry, and there we sat for over an hour and a half. Buzzards, Marsh Harriers and Kestrel put in an appearance, many Skylarks rose vertically singing their appreciation of the warm, sunny day. 

Enjoying a truly apricate March day, a thought came over me. I'd never tried photographing a Skylark in song flight. Camera poised, a middle distance bird sprang out of the tall grass. A few problems as I couldn't see the bird without wearing my specs - which I wasn't. Ever the optimist, I raised my camera and took these.......



 

You can see what they are.

We gave up and drove home, where I read my Twitter feed. The Eagle rose high and drifted out to sea at 12.15. 

Tuesday, March 30

My Cromer eye clinic appointment was for 9.00 a.m. After hearing the good news that I did not need an injection to-day, we drove to Cley Spy - with a Homebase diversion. Whilst waiting, I'd been reading my Which gardening magazine, where Homebase's peat free general purpose compost was announced as best buy. Boot filled with odorous bags, we went on our way towards Cley.

The call at CleySpy took longer than I'd planned, as their machine would not read my card from the doorway. I was in the car, Pam just outside and the manager stood on the steps. What a pantomime, but we're used to it, Covid regulations rule. Eventually I suggested that she did what would have happened if I'd paid over the phone last night. Took my details over to the machine. Why didn't she think of that? My old binoculars have been sent back to Swarovski for a new front lens and something about diopter adjustment. No wonder I was having difficulty. I thought that it was my eye. I've had them a long time, they're well travelled.

Cuddling a pair of brilliant Swaro 10x42 NLs, next stop, Cley Beach. The first bird we saw on the way along Beach Road was a female Wheatear. Too distant to photograph. The next tick was Mike, returning to the car park from a successful shingle scrunch to North Hide for three male Garganey. I would have loved to have seen the birds, neither of us would survive the walk comfortably.

After an enjoyable chat, we added Sand Martins over Gramborough Hill, failed to see a Ring Ousel at Felbrigg, and drove home to find this on the doormat.

 


A Simnel Cake made by ex colleague and good friend, Kate. Pam will really enjoy that. Although - when I'n not dieting - I would enjoy the cake, I am not fond of almond paste, which both covers the top and forms a central layer.

The chick has a Covid hair style from the tin's lid. 

Wednesday, March 31 

Two, new for the year, moths, in this morning's traps, which held numerous Small Quakers, Common Quaker, Early Grey, Clouded Drab, Hebrew Character and a Chestnut. .I believe that the Pug we trapped - not pictured - is Brindled.

An Early Thorn


 

No comments:

Post a Comment