Wednesday 24 March 2021

Raptor Rhapsody

 Wednesday, March 24

Yesterday was warm and sunny. 

Inconceivable a few years ago, Buzzards are now a daily sight around home, usually seen spiralling towards the clouds.






 

In pairs in early spring.

 



 Even more unlikely, handsome Red Kites are now a regular occurrence. I can still feel the excitement of my first ever sighting. We were in mid Wales, specifically to see a Kite, not that far from my village of birth. I called the sighting, which brought our Morris Traveller (Woody) to an abrupt halt - when I fell out for a better view. My sister and husband were in another car, not birders, but excited by this sighting. There are some birds that most people love to see. Red Kite is one of them.

All photographs taken from the car.

 



There were three, possibly four, White-tailed Eagles in Norfolk yesterday. With lockdown in force , we couldn't even, legally, travel to Horsey for the two we knew were around in the Horsey/Hickling area. 

Nearer to home, Pam caught a distant sight of one with its following entourage of Red Kites, Buzzards and Marsh Harriers. I saw a mob of distant raptors, but not well enough to count as a sighting. Ian and Sue had seen an Eagle, we were too late.

No comments:

Post a Comment