Friday 23 April 2021

Migrant Catch-up

 Wednesday, April 21

Mid afternoon is not the optimum time to visit Barton Broad, that's what we did though. Using my Rollator, I walked out to the viewing platform along a wire netting covered boardwalk.through wet Alder carr. A couple of small patches of Slime Mould, a juvenile bracket fungus, and our first Willow Warbler of the year.The Alder catkins looked lovely, I should have photographed them.

Sitting on the viewing platform is a real penance in a northerly wind. We only managed about ten minutes, during which we saw distant Great Crested Grebes, Sand Martins and the odd Swallow skimming the far water, three Common Terns fishing near the reed bed. The birds are always rather far away here, I used my telescope which I transport laid across Rolly's seat. The bag takes my camera and 1-400 lens comfortably, better when when it isn't zoomed.

On the return trundle, the sun appeared, and immediately there was more bird song. At least three Willow Warblers, Wren, Dunnock, Blackbird and Blue Tit.

Pam had noticed a newly mown meadow in the last mile or so before the reserve disabled car park. On the return journey, Pam called a Mistle Thrush there as I called Ring Ouzel. Yes, it was definitely a two bird moment. The Ouzel was a female. No sooner had I pointed my lens than she flew off into the wood. We had to move on as it's a narrow one car lane and traffic arrived. We turned round, there was the Mistle - and a male Ring Ouzel. I took a few 'proof it was there' shots before we had to move on again.

 



Only the Thrush remained on our third passing.

Thursday April 22

There was a moth-ing session at Cley this morning. Due to Covid restrictions, only six people could be present, Pam and I volunteered to give it a miss. We shall be in Scotland for the next four sessions. Instead, we went to Titchwell. I haven't walked there for more than eighteen months.We aproached via Choseley, seeing our first Common Whitethroats, zipping about in the hedge, singing as they chased, never still.

A Kestrel led us a merry dance along the road. I have become a little obsessed with taking a decent photo of one. This is the best so far, keep trying.

 

The Fishermen's car park, which we have used for over thirty years, saving at least a hundred metres of walking, is ever more difficult. Soil tipped at the far end turning area, overgrown bushes and 'road' churned up by large machinery. I think it was a fifteen point turn.

Blackcaps sang as we set off towards the beach. The path looks flat. In actuality it has loose stones on a dusty grey surface which sends judders up my arms the whole time, some parts worse than others. My Rollator is not a cross country machine, they are too heavy to lift in and out of the car. What I need is some new, bigger and softer, wheels. Having complained, it  did make it possible for me to walk as far as the freshwater pool, making use of all the seats available. These became magically vacated as we approached. Was it Rolly?

More Willow , three Cetti's, and a few Sedge Warblers sang their delight and ''keep off my space'', songs. Bearded Tits pinged low in the reeds, a distant Bittern boomed.

At one stop. we were hailed by a couple who had attended Cley Moths last year, when they lived in Worcestershire. They now live in Snettisham. Both had been to look at the moths on the Visitor Centre wall near an outside light. Pam did so when she went to the shop for a hot drink, Early Tooth-stripe, Brindled Beauty and some I forget .True to my reputation, I would never have recognised this very pleasant couple. Probably not next time either.

The freshwater pool was full of water. We managed to see four Sandwich Terns hunkered down on a mud bank, head tucked under wing, before the slow walk back.

Our hot drinks were enjoyed at Brancaster Staithe, watching an inrushing tide, and the efforts by the owner of a Pelican dinghy to  launch the boat, and then, to  battle the currents, the sail flapping out of control. He had to use his outboard in the end. Very entertaining. A few Turnstone, Redshank and Oystercatchers were the only waders we saw.

North Point brought me a very welcome year tick - we didn't see one at all last year.  What a daft bogey bird when they are so common. A Common Snipe. At last.

A thoroughly enjoyable day out, although tiring on unfit legs with very dodgy knees.

We got home to find that our free pack of seven Covid lateral testing kits had arrived. I discovered on Tuesday that the Scottish Islands have asked for tests to be taken three days, and another, one day, before entry. The result has to be logged on the NHS website. As we are visiting two islands, we need two lots of tests. I sent for ours, they are available from major pharmacies.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment