Thursday 8 April 2021

Pfizer 2

 Thursday, April 8

To-day's punctuation mark achieved, our second Pfizer Covid jab. As efficient and painless as the first. Same place too, Rossi's in North Walsham. 

On the way home, a small group of Red Deer were browsing on top of the hill where they often appear from the sanctuary of Bacton Woods.

 


Moth-ing has been very slow this week. Pam found this lovely Brindled Beauty holding on to the sheet hung behind the MV trap on Sunday night - taking the traps in early as it was blowing a gale.

 


This morning, both traps were empty, apart from our first of the year, Pale Pinion. One never knows. Part of the attraction is the Christmas morning parcel opening anticipation of the contents.


I had planned a visit to Cley yesterday morning, forgetting that Andrea was here. She changed the gardening day so that she could spend Easter Monday with her partner.

Friend Pauline texted, telling me that the bird had flown. Ah well. It wasn't long before a second text told me that it had returned. Thank you P.

Andrea helped Pam empty the car boot of the bird food we got from Van Der in Melton Constable yesterday - one of the sunflower kernel sacks was for her anyway - and we left for Cley.

Yes, the Grey Phalarope was still spinning manically, and sewing machine pecking, in the Eye Pool. Pam turned the car, and we joined three others parked on a wider part of the road, so that I could try some photography. I've never photographed this bird before - and would wish for better results. The combination of rapid movement and back lighting was too much of a challenge for me.



I also got some video footage, unfortunately forgetting that it also recorded us talking. I'll stay quiet next time.

Another turn around, we returned to the Cley Beach car park, parking sideways on at the far end so that we could see a patch of sea as well as the Eye Field. Almost immediately, an all white gull rose above the shingle, dropping before Pam could see the Iceland Gull I called. We had several more tantalising views as it kept appearing very briefly above the shingle, fishing actively along with a group of Herring Gulls. The trick was in trying to forecast where it would appear next. I managed three shots, all absolutely dreadful. Out of focus fuzz.

My attention then turned to the small groups of Kittiwakes passing through. I saw some lovely photographs of them on Twitter last night. Taken against a lively sea in stormy light by The White Falcon (Mark Golly), I believe. 

Three year ticks happy, we drove home.

On the way back from Van Der yesterday, a stop at our woodland watchpoint enabled me to take some photos of a Brambling in a tree rather than on feeders or the ground in the garden. We are still getting three daily. I much prefer a more natural background.

 



Starlings are beautiful - even if they do choose to perch on barbed wire. 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment