Friday 4 January 2019

A Gull Puzzle

Monday December 31

I decided to warm up for to-morrow. We drove to Ludham Airfield where.......there were no swans at all. There was a large flock of Gulls resting on the newly ploughed area.  There were also four birders discussing, binning and scoping a distant field. I looked and saw a large dark bird with a pale neck ring. Pheasant ? 
Scope in use, I saw that it was a large dark gull with a dark bill apart from a pale saddle where it met the face. I asked Pam to look uo American Herring Gull whilst I called out the features I was seeing. 
At that point a man came over asking if we were any good at gulls. Not really ! I'm interested but not a Larophile. Another man joined us saying 'are you the ladies who keep a Blog'. It was David B. Good to put a face to the words.
I took a few, less than good, photos using an extender on my 300mm lens in very poor light - again. 

Find the Gull (clue, it's where the plough meets the grass)

This is so magnified and photo-shopped.



A photo of David's was sent to a gull man but I haven't heard anything since.  It was probably something common.

1 comment:

  1. Actually, the jury is still out! Several well-known birders have suggested your I/d might have been spot on!

    ReplyDelete