Thursday 31 January 2019

Hoar Frost

Thursday January 31

-6C overnight left everything thickly encrusted with hoar frost. A favourite winter sight of mine. That and the remaining snow would have made for spectacular photographs - if it wasn't for the accompanying, thick, freezing fog.This meant that Pam decided not to drive to our usual meet with friends at Cley Centre.
With unexpected free time, I spent the morning catching up with emails and Blog. 
After lunch, the fog improved enough to consider driving to Sheringham to buy new rubber feet from Blyth and Wright for a folding chair we use for moth-ing . By the time we reached the town the sun was shining but not warm enough to dissipate the frost. Roadside verges were still white.


If the weather continues, I hope to photograph our garden Mimosa and Witch Hazel, blossoming bright yellow through the frost.
After a successful shop visit, we drove to the car park at the sea end of the High Street. A justincasa visit. Waw, a single Purple Sandpiper picked at the growth on top of the breakwater rocks immediately below the car park.
I only had my Canon Powershot SX270 with me - the one I use for digiscoping and is always in my handbag. The wall is too tall to set up the scope,  I had a couple of shots before the bird flew. This is the best it could manage in very poor light and highly magnified.



I've never been able to chase a big year list. Something I'd always intended to do when I retired, but elderly relatives put paid to that. I searched for my year records and was interested to see that in 2005, the year I had both knees replaced in August, I had my record list of 289, despite the operations and spending 6 weeks in Australia. My January month record is 158, 156 in Norfolk. Those were the days !

No comments:

Post a Comment