Wednesday 23 January 2019

No Fog This Time

Wednesday January 23

We visited Ormesby Little Broad on the afternoon of Monday January 21. leaving home in bright sunshine. We encountered patches of fog en route but nothing like the pea souper which descended at Filby. 
I stayed in the car park whilst Pam walked to the bridge where she met two chatting birders. Yes, the birds were there a few minutes ago. One kindly put up his scope to see .... nothing, apart from a wall of grey fog. 
Home via Winterton  beach where large sections of the dunes have fallen into the sea. I doubt that the cafe will be in use again. Record numbers of Seal pups at both Blakeney and Horsey this year. Well over 2,000 just up the coast at Horsey will have brought many visitors.

After morning appointments, we set off for Filby.  Again bright sunshine and blue sky at home. A very large, dark grey, cumulo-nimbus did squeeze out a few drops of rain but the sun shone still when we parked at Filby. News from another birder was that the birds were now on Ormesby Little Broad but viewable from the platform, not the bridge. This meant a 'short' walk through the woods from the parking area. That's what the notice board said. For me it was 700+ steps each way - I count as I walk to make the time pass more quickly. I was pleased to see a seat about half way out. A short rest enables me to continue. And I was carrying my scope, not much use out there without one.

No hide these days, an enlarged platform with a couple of benches on which to sit - after drying one off, removing much of the green mould.
Setting up my scope I scanned the far gap,  which is the channel to the Ormesby Great Broad .I soon found the beautiful brightly plumaged female Smew. The Red-necked Grebe - also in splendid plumage - took longer. Both species were very actively feeding.
Unable to carry my camera kit as well as the scope, I'd pocketed my small Canon point and shoot which I have used for digi scoping in the distant past. Merely holding it manually agains the scope lens. I had a go and one of the Red-necked Grebe steaming along the edge of the reeds is discernible ! The Smew isn't !


I didn't think of photographing the Great Crested Grebes, Marsh Harrier, Tufted Ducks, Coot and Grey Heron also present. 

No comments:

Post a Comment