Monday 20 April 2020

Puss, Hawk and Seeds

Monday, April 20

Whilst awake in the night, I was making up crossword clues where the answer was the name of a moth we have already trapped this year. As you do....... 
e.g. Verdigris ice lolly.
We found 13 moths of 8 species last night, which included two new for the year. The lovely Puss Moth, one of my favourites.


 
This one has been in the wars, probably a 'nearly got you' hungry bird.

The other was a Poplar Hawkmoth, much livelier than is usual for this species. It was warm in the sun lounge. We shall have to move outside again when there isn't as strong and cool a wind as there is today.


The others included a Frosted Green, Early Grey and one each of the usual four Orthosias.

Yesterday was open the bag and see what's sprouting time. Plenty was the answer. The three vegetable seeds I placed in damp compost inside a plastic bag last weekend were well sprouted.
I use some, now elderly, planters for larger seeds. When ready for planting, the containers open out enabling easy removal and less root disturbance when planting. I love them and am still nursing them along. I bought them from Agriframes.


Deep Rootrainers

Sitting on a perching stool - a legacy of Pam's second hip replacement - in a warm greenhouse, I planted all three veggies.

Runner Bean Wisley Magic
Dwarf French bean Nomad  
 The sweetcorn I have used very succesfully for the last ten years is Lark.

I was not happy at the end of last week's INR blood test, neither was the nurse. My next appointment in two weeks time, did not have a time slot - I had to phone up on the day. A new venture which nurse obviously thought was likely to fail. There is an alternative drug to Warfarin. I booked a telephone appointment this morning, stated my case - the danger of frequent visits to the surgery. I needed have bothered. Doctor Young, boss man, was all for it and has been trying to encourage the change. Excellent. I pick up the prescription to-morrow and start immediately, with the warning that it can cause stomach upsets. Let's hope that my mother's pronouncement that I had a 'cast iron stomach' is still true.
I try not to read about side effects when starting a new medfication........ too late.

Answer : Frosted Green

No comments:

Post a Comment